The sheriff shows up at your door to serve you or you get a certified notice that you are being sued for a credit card debt. Panic sets in and often there is the feeling that there is nothing you can do to fight it. Avoidance often follows and a tendency to do nothing. But then a default judgment will follow and you definitely do not want that to happen. Often there are defenses to a credit card debt collection law suit. Here are some possible ones:
- The lawsuit was filed more than four years after your last payment.
- Someone stole your identity and opened this account.
- The company suing you has mistaken you for someone else.
- Someone else used your card and made the charges in question without your permission.
- You used the card as an “authorized user” of someone else’s credit card and are not responsible for payments.
- You have already paid the entire debt.
- The amount the company is asking for is incorrect.
- The company that is suing you cannot prove it owns the account.
- You have previously received a bankruptcy discharge for the debt in question.
If you are sued for a credit card debt, do not ignore it. Defend it. To do that, you need an attorney experienced in debt collection cases. Contact Pine Street Legal for the legal help you need.